Public Service Announcement #2: Contrary to popular opinion, the flu shot really isn’t making you sick, unless of course you have an allergy to eggs! I hear from every other person, “that flu shot made me sick last time, I’m never getting it again”. Please bear with me for a few during My Health Monday as I challenge your thinking on that.
From my pharmacy job, interaction at the gym, and as I’ve been browsing around blogs, I keep seeing people shut down for a couple of weeks (UNNECESSARILY) because of the flu. One of my favorite warriors from my Tuesday morning COMBAT class was even out for Christmas! That was a major bummer, for her and the children! In general, if infected, it’s just not a good feeling. Most people would say an accurate description is “feeling like you’ve been hit by a bus”. “OUCH!”
You might be thinking, that’s not too bad, but the first person to die of the flu this flu season was actually a child during the first week of October as reported by the CDC. It can be very serious. You can see here that we are still in HIGH flu activity in the majority of states in the U.S. You can sign up here to get updates on flu activity in your area.
This isn’t an all inclusive influenza post! The most important take away from this is that everyone pretty much should get the flu shot every flu season (October – May) & know that it will not make you sick unless you have an allergy to it, eggs, or if you’ve had Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
- It takes almost 2 – 4 weeks to protect you totally against the flu, so if you were already exposed, you could still develop it. Here is your incentive to be first in line this year when it’s offered in October for flu season 2013-14.
- The flu shot is an INACTIVATED (KILLED) VACCINE. That means the virus is dead, gone, no longer alive. You can’t get the flu from it, I promise! (I know someone is still going to beg to differ:)
You can get the flu shot at the Health Department, doctor’s offices, and
unfortunately at pharmacies. You can even get your flu shot in the middle of the night! HA, I thought I was getting away with administering them working the night shift. Would you believe people actually get shots at 2 o’clock in the a.m.! They always seem to come right in the middle of my lunch too! If you don’t believe me, follow me here, I tend to tweet about these annoyances. Anywho, to all my gym boo babies; instructors, trainers, members, etc. go get your shot if you haven’t already, so you won’t come up in the gym spreading the cooties, Please and Thank you! Besides, you can’t lose weight if you’re down for the count!
Oh, and the shot doesn’t hurt!!!
I will go more into details about the flu vaccine at the beginning of flu season later this year, but feel free to leave me any questions if you have them.
Rx Fitness Lady wants to know…
- If you ever had the flu, what was it like…REALLY… tell me, I never had it?
- Did you get a flu shot this year, or will you now?
Rx Fitness Lady
Latest posts by Rx Fitness Lady (see all)
- My Allergies Are Bothering Me, Now What? - March 29, 2017
- Learn to Say No and Stick With It - March 15, 2017
- BODYCOMBAT 70 Starts a New Age in the Les Mills Mixed Martial Arts Inspired Program - March 1, 2017